CALLING ALL SAILORS! BE A PART OF THE SAILING MUSEUM!
We want to hear from YOU!
The sailing community is coming together to pledge its commitment to the health of our oceans and waterways. Join your fellow sailors in creating a stewardship anthem that will be featured in The Sailing Museum.
Submit a video telling us what YOU are doing to protect and preserve the waters you sail on!
As sailors, we have a unique bond with our oceans and waterways. We’ve seen firsthand that our lakes, rivers, oceans and seas are being threatened by pollution, and declining habitat, which is damaging marine biodiversity and hurting coastal communities. We’ve also seen that the actions we take on land and sea can, and do, make a difference. Through The Sailing Museum we can share our collective efforts from coast to coast with sailors and non-sailors alike, inspiring all to take action.
The Sailing Museum is inviting the sailing community to share what they are doing in their communities to protect and preserve the waters they sail on. Help us create a stewardship anthem that will be featured in the museum and on our web and social channels.
The museum experience is designed not only to pay tribute to the history of sailing, but to educate those new to our sport, including the importance of protecting our home waters to ensure this and future generations can enjoy the pastime we love. This video campaign is a unique opportunity to share your passion and be a part of the museum experience.
To contribute to the stewardship film, sailors are asked to record a short video (up to two minutes) with a camera or mobile device. In an effort to simplify the submission process, TSM has developed simple step-by-step instructions for recording as well as a Mad Libs™-style script to use as a guide. Scripts and recording guidelines are listed below along with links to download.
“I am a sailor.
I am proud to be a steward/protector/defender/champion/word of your choosing of the name of the ocean/sea/river/lake/waterway you sail on.
Wherever we sail, our home waters are in danger.
So, here’s what I’m doing to protect them: list 1-3 actions you are taking in the name of stewardship.
Together, we can do this/make a difference/another phrase of your choosing.”
WHAT YOU WILL NEED
● A mobile device or camera
SETTING UP YOUR CAMERA
● Set your camera settings to 4K at 30fps. If your mobile device does not support 4K, set the camera to 1080 at 30fps
● For iPhone, go to Settings > Camera and you’ll see a “Record Video” menu where you can adjust the video settings (see image right).
● For Android, watch this video.
CHOOSING A FILMING LOCATION
● Choose a location with even light illuminating the front of your face. Avoid being backlit.
● Select a QUIET location away from distracting noise.
● Go outside. Get out on the water. Choose a location you love!
FRAMING THE SHOT
● Stabilize the camera as much as possible.
● Position the camera horizontally, in LANDSCAPE orientation.
● If you are using a phone, do not use the built-in zoom. Just move closer.
● Please limit your video to 2 minutes.
SPEAKING TO THE CAMERA
● Make sure the microphone is picking you up clearly.
● Smile, shout, dance, sing if you want to! Let your passion for your home waterway show!
OTHER IMAGES & VIDEO
● Send us additional video or photographs you have that demonstrate your love for the water, the sport of sailing and your commitment to taking care of the places we sail!
● Video footage should be 1080 or 4K. Photos should be highest resolution possible.
UPLOADING YOUR IMAGES & VIDEO
● Ready to submit? Scroll down to the submission form at the bottom of this page and follow the instructions.
● Email us at email@example.com for support, if needed.
iPhone Camera & Recording Settings. For Android, click here.
Dos and Don’ts for your best film!
SUBMIT YOUR VIDEO!
PLEASE SUBMIT BY AUGUST 31, 2021
Please note: Due to the length of the finished film, not all video submissions will be incorporated into the museum exhibit. However, the videos will remain in the care of The Sailing Museum and may be utilized on web and social channels and shared periodically. All US submissions will receive stickers and pins from The Sailing Museum. Videos incorporated into the film exhibit will receive limited edition gear and tickets to the museum.
About The Sailing Museum:
The Sailing Museum, opening in May 2022, will feature exhibits celebrating the National Sailing Hall of Fame and America’s Cup Hall of Fame. Located in the historic Armory Building on Thames Street in Newport, R.I. the museum will bring incredible people and inspiring stories from across the country together into one place that is accessible to all. Interactive educational exhibits will provide real-world applications of STEAM concepts that come alive through sailing; and visitors of all ages, non-sailors and sailors alike, will experience the magic that happens when wind and water meet. The Sailing Museum is an IRS recognized 501c3 nonprofit organization, operating as a dba of National Sailing Hall of Fame. To learn more visit our homepage, thesailingmuseum.org.
365 Thames Street | Newport, RI 02840 | 401.324.5761 | thesailingmuseum.org