Stamford Yacht Club

Today the club is most noted for the Valeur-Jensen Stamford to Denmark Friendship Race, held in the Fall, and the annual Vineyard Race, held every Labor Day weekend since 1932. NSHOF has a video commemorating the 75th anniversary of the Vineyard Race in its Film Library.

Stories from Stamford Yacht Club

The Stamford Yacht Club is located in Stamford, Connecticut on Stamford Harbor, and was founded in 1890 at the home of William Lottimer.  The Club’s earliest members were active people living in interesting times. The Merritt Parkway is, indeed, named after the second Vice Commodore, whose Commodore, Henry K. McHarg, built a railroad town in Texas that is still called Stamford.

Like hundreds of members who followed them, the founders preserved and enhanced the Club, both for their contemporaries and for generations to come. When commemorating fellow members of earlier generations, club membership works to not only express gratitude, but also gain a sense of personal responsibility as stewards between the Club’s last century and its next.

Stamford Yacht Club is proud to participate as a Founding Member of the National Sailing Hall of Fame. Special thanks to the leadership of Staff Commodore Joseph Dockery who spearheaded the fundraising efforts. The members of Stamford Yacht Club share and support the goals of NSHOF in promoting sailing and preserving America’s sailing traditions.

Thomas Campfield